Have questions about our Professional Development Training?
We hope you'll find the answers below. If not, let us know!
What are my options for online enrollment?
You have two options for enrollment - one level at a time, which you can do any time throughout the year, or join a class. We generally run classes two times per year. Our next class starts in March 2019.
How long do I have access to the information for?
Forever! We want you to be supported even after you’ve finished your training.
Can I log in to the sessions on my own schedule?
Yes. Sessions are sent to you weekly and you can choose to watch the videos as they arrive in your inbox, or you can get comfy on the couch, log in and binge watch Netflix style. If life gets in the way (we have a few folk with new babies!), you can just pause for as long as needed. We're here to welcome you back when you're ready.
Do you offer Continuing Education Units?
Yes, but...We seek CEUs/CPDs from Australian and international providers if there’s enough demand. Some organisations charge more for CEUs than we charge for enrollment, so we need a minimum number of those professionals for it to work. Some organisations offer CEUs direct, so check with yours to see if they provide them.
When you say “certification”, what does that mean?
Once you have completed the professional development training, you’ll be invited to think about Certification to run our Becoming Us classes in your community. You’ll be qualified and entitled (and supported) to use our Becoming Us™ Before Baby, Becoming Us™ After Baby and Becoming Us™ Reading Group programs for parents, which you can use with individuals, couples or in a group setting. You'll get the curriculum for both programs, marketing materials, access to our very supportive Village Elders facebook group and a you'll work with our Becoming Us Mentors to get you set up. The steps for certification are below.
Should I still do the professional development training if I don't want to run the classes?
Absolutely! Anyone who works with parents at any stage of their family life-cycle benefits from knowing this information and the difference it can make for parents and families. The Professional Development Training is designed for you to use the information and integrate it into your own way of working with clients. You'll be able to plant Becoming Us seeds and have handouts from day one. In Level II, you'll learn the stages of parenthood and have resources you can use with clients in whatever way is helpful for you and for them. In Level III, you'll have a deeper understanding of the more challenging aspects of parenthood, including Perinatal Mental Health conditions, ways to minimize your clients' risk, and the ways you can help parents who need it. This education is in line with current recommendations from ACOG in the U.S., The World Psychiatric Society and COPE in Australia.
Then, if you decide you'd like more structure, direction and support, you can go on and Certify to use the Becoming Us method.
What are the steps to certify and run the Becoming Us classes?
We are still in pilot mode with this, so things could change slightly. Currently, the process for certification to become a Becoming Us Class Facilitator is:
1) Complete all three levels of our Becoming Us Professional Development Training Program, either separately or as part of a class.
2) Apply for Becoming Us Facilitator Certification. We’ll ask you to send in your paperwork (eg. C.V., professional insurance and professional membership if you have it).
3) You'll then be invited to have an initial welcome session with Elly to talk about your plans.
4) At this point you'll receive your Becoming Us Facilitator Agreement, guidelines and curriculum for our classes. Currently we have three classes: Becoming Us Before Baby (for expecting couples) and Becoming Us After Baby (for couples with a baby or toddler) and our Becoming Us Reading Group program for mothers with a baby or young children.
5) You’ll get a 60 minute session with our Becoming Us Marketing Mentor to get you set up with what you’ll need to run your first class. You'll also receive the marketing package to help you get up and running.
6) Run your first pilot class and send all the participant feedback forms from each session to us. Send in your own Facilitator feedback forms at the end of the training.
7) You’ll have the option to continue working with our Marketing and Class Mentors on an hourly basis if you feel you need more support.
8) Once we’re all confident you’re all set up to go forward, you’ll receive your Facilitator Web badge and be listed on our new website.
The current investment for Certification is $USD 597, payable over two payments - the first when you apply and the second when you have parents enrolled for your first class.
Are there any ongoing costs for me to run the classes afterwards?
Yes. We charge an annual licensing fee to purchase and run the programs, provide any new materials, have ongoing support and access to new resources. At this early stage, the yearly fee to run the Becoming Us classes in your community is only $USD 149. This year we plan to pilot Becoming Us Reading Groups, Babymoon Retreats and Corporate Classes. There will be more information coming on the licensing fees for these models.
I haven't facilitated groups before, is there support for me?
Absolutely! As part of your certification process (above) you’ll have three sessions with Barb Suarez, our fantastic Becoming Us Class Mentor. You’ll get one mentoring session before your first class, the second session about half way through, and the third when you’re both celebrating at the end! In your final session you'll decide together if more mentoring is a good thing and how much will work for your needs. Any additional mentoring is charged at an hourly rate to be negotiated with your mentor. We want you to be successful because we know parents need you!!!
Running classes with an experienced co-Facilitator is much less stressful and more fun! Marketing is easier too with combined resources and contacts. So, if you know someone who loves running classes, you might like to team up with them (they’ll have to undertake the Becoming Us Professional Development training and apply to certify too). A mixed gender team for male/female copules is ideal and we’d really like to have more male Facilitators come on board!
How do I enrol for the online training?
If you'd like to join the next class, we’ll be taking enrollments up to the end of the month while folks are still introducing themselves and getting to know each other. You can enrol for the March 2019 class here. If you miss this class, or just want to dip your toe into our training you can enrol for Level I here at any time throughout the year.
We hope you’ll join us!